Sunday, January 08, 2006

On the Steps of the Conservatory

This is the opening from a Donald Barthelme short story:

-C'mon Hilda don't fret.
-Well Maggie it's a blow.
-Don't let it bother you, don't let it get you down.
-Once I thought they were going to admit me to the Conservatory but now I know they will never admit me to the Conservatory.
-Yes they are very particular about who they admit to the Conservatory. They will never admit you to the Conservatory.
-They will never admit me to the Conservatory, I know that now.
-You are not Conservatory material, I'm afraid. That's the plain truth of it.
-You're not important, they told me, just remember that, you're not important, what's so important about you? What?


Kind of reminds me of something. Something about, I don't know, being an artist?

5 comments:

Person said...

I love Donald Barthelme. He is funny.

pd said...

You know how much I love him...and this story!!!

Mountain Man said...

I love that you love him. Not enough people know his wonderful stories. He is Godliness.

postmoderndebunker said...

The King of Jazz is another favorite of mine. Hokie Mokie!

Mountain Man said...

Oh My God!!! I know. Hokie Mokie is the king of jazz! I feel like I should devote more posts to quoting him. However you may be the only one who truly understands his brilliance!!!